Analysis of atrial fibrillation mechanisms
Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common heart rhythm disturbance and a leading cause of hospitalization and death. Althoug catheter ablation of AF is a promising therapy, its success is limited because the mechanisms that sustain the arrhythmia are not yet clearly identified. In this regard many theories based on atrial electrical activation or on atrial structural remodeling have been proposed to target AF mechanisms. In the BIOMIG, we have several ongoing projects which aim to elucidate the role of fibrosis on AF by using biomedical engineering tools. For more details on the individual projects:
- M. Valinoti, C. Fabbri, D. Turco, R. Mantovan, A. Pasini, C. Corsi, 3D patient-specific models for left atrium characterization to support ablation in atrial fibrillation patients, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, in press.
- M. Valinoti, S. Severi, R. Mantovan, C. Corsi. Preliminary results of an independent approach for basket catheter electrogram processing to detect rotors in atrial fibrillation, ESC 2016.
- M. Valinoti, G.V. Lozupone, P. Sabbatani, R. Mantovan, S. Severi, C. Corsi, Improved detection of activation timings in endoatrial electrograms through a modified sinusoidal recomposition method, Computing in Cardiology 2015 (Nice, 5-9 September 2015), edited by Alan Murray, IEEE Press, Vol.42, 2015, in press.
- M. Valinoti, G.V. Lozupone, P. Sabbatani, R. Mantovan, S. Severi, C. Corsi, Combined analysis of the electrical patterns and structural remodeling in atrial fibrillation, EMBC 2015, Milano, 25-29 August 2015, in press.
- R. Leonardi, F. Veronesi, S. Severi, R. Mantovan, C. Corsi, Volumetric Identification of Left Atrial Fibrosis from Delayed Enhancement Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Atrial Fibrillation: Preliminary Results, Computing in Cardiology 2014 (Cambridge, Boston (MA), USA, September 4-7, 2014), edited by Alan Murray, IEEE Press, Vol. 41:101-104, 2014.
- M. Valinoti, C. Fabbri, R. Mantovan, S. Severi, C. Corsi, A MRI-derived 3D patient specific model for fibrosis quantification in atrial fibrillation, EuroCMR 2016 (Florence, Italy, May 12-14, 2016).
- M. Valinoti, P. Sabbatani, R. Mantovan, S. Severi, C. Corsi, Analysis of endo-atrial electrograms and fibrotic tissue from DE- MRI in atrial fibrillation, Atrial Signals 2015, Karlsruhe, Germany, 22-24 October 2015, in press.
- M. Valinoti, G.V. Lozupone, P. Sabbatani, R. Mantovan, S. Severi, C. Corsi, Mechanisms of AF: work in progress on the link between electrical patterns and structural remodeling, MALT meeting, 29 aprile - 1 maggio 2015, Lugano, Svizzera.